Wednesday 12 April 2017

Ta-Nehisi Coates: Between the World and Me

Image result for between the world and me
 This is a book I actually bought for CoP, but my project there has gone in a different direction than I first had planned, I was going to write about how visual communication changes how we perceive events in history, but I've ended up going for a more contemporary take on the idea, thinking about how visual communication changes how we perceive each other through mediums like social media.
I bought this book specifically to investigate how perceptions of black communities has altered since the 20th Century to today. The author writes the book as a letter to his teenage son, so the whole thing feels very personal and honest.

The unique way the author illustrates the story of his life and experiences growing up has made me think about alternative methods of telling a story. I've found a lot of inspiration recently towards illustration through the medium of books, especially books centred on telling a story, as that's what I'm basically trying to do in my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment