Tuesday 18 April 2017

Industry Research - Iakov Chernikov

Iakov Chernikhov, Suprematist Composition (1922):  Through my work for Responsive and 505, I came across a Russian designer and architect called Iakov Chernikov. He operated in the late 1920s onward, pioneering Constructivist architecture.
The definition of Constructivism is: a style or movement in which assorted mechanical objects are combined into abstract mobile structural forms. The movement originated in Russia in the 1920s and has influenced many aspects of modern architecture and design.

I have been recently using block shape and colour to make abstract designs, so these visuals have been massively inspiring. This is something I never even considered I'd have been looking at when we started on this course, but now this shape based design is making up for a large chunk of my practice.

"My aspiration was to completely avoid the real world and give myself over to utopias, illusions, and the ephemeral." - Chernikov, 1927.
Chernikov saw visual communication as a tool for artists to express their imagination and fantasy, and thought that realism was pretty much pointless, as it already exists, so why make it again?
This philosophy is something that aligns with how I see illustration now, I don't really see the point in super realistic drawing and I'm a lot more focused on how the artist can tell a story or explain an idea just using image.

Image result for iakov chernikhov

No comments:

Post a Comment