Wednesday 5 April 2017

Industry Research - Skottie Young

Image result for skottie young i hate fairylandIn keeping with my departure from conventional comics, I've leaned hard into the weird stuff that Image is putting out, namely I Hate Fairyland by Skottie Young. I came across his work last year when I saw some of the variant covers he was producing for Marvel, but he never illustrated full issues so I wasn't really that familiar with his work.
Image result for skottie young marvel His style combines super deformed childlike cuteness with scenes of often horrible and biologically accurate scenes of carnage. After reading I Hate Fairyland, I now realise why he wasn't illustrating full issues of the Avengers, as any child audience would have likely been scarred.
Image result for skottie young i hate fairylandHis combination of children's illustration and horrible gore appeals to an audience who understands the juxtaposition. I really enjoy this series because its a creator writing and drawing exactly what he wants, and that's refreshing to see in comics for me, as I was so used to formulaic superhero comics last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment