Monday 10 April 2017

Podcasts + BrainScran


For about a year, podcasts have been a great way for me to absorb content I'm interested in through the medium of comedy. These podcasts basically do through audio what I want to do visually in my practice. They all use a wealth of otherwise useless pop culture knowledge to come up with comedy scenarios, which is literally what I do in my life all the time.

Image result for do go on pod
Do Go On centres around a weekly report on a topic, during which the two presenters who aren't reporting spend the episode derailing the report and infusing comedy into whatever subject they are talking about.

Image result for shut up a second podcast
Shut Up A Second is similar, but a lot more bizarre. The topics for each episode are purposely vague as possible, focusing on things like Bugs or Jelly. The openness means that the topic can be interpreted in any kind of way and often ends up in a completely different place to where it started. This one is how I want to think about my ideas, just letting completely loose and firing out as many funny things as I have time for.

Image result for the weekly planet
The Weekly Planet was the first of these shows I started listening to, as it appealed to the wealth of useless pop culture knowledge I have stored in my brain. It frequently reassures me to listen to this show and find that there are other people out there thinking similar things to me in relation to popular culture such as films and tv shows. Popular culture is what got me into drawing in the first place, so it will always be a massive part of my practice.

Image result for plumbing the death star
Plumbing the Death Star is another show with a way of thinking I want to start incorporating into how I think about my own ideas. The premise each week is to solve a fictional problem with real world considerations, such as how Hogwarts would perform in an OFSTED examination, or whether or not Muppets are second class citizens. This is one of my favourite shows and the completely mad situations coupled with their actual knowledge of the topics is really interesting week in and week out to listen to.

Inspired by all these shows, I've recently started writing on my friend Tom from Foundation's blog about music and film, Brain Scran. I don't have a lot of time to be frequently writing on there, but it is a good experience to put my feelings about certain things out there through that medium. Hopefully in the summer I'm going to start posting there a lot more regularly.
https://brainscran.wordpress.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment