Monday 16 May 2016

Visual Communication - End of Module Self-Evaluation


Leeds College of Art
BA (Hons) ILLUSTRATION
Level
04
OUIL406 Visual Communication
Credits
20
End of Module Self Evaluation

NAME
ISAAC SMITH


1.  What have you learn about visual communication during this module and how effectively do you think you have applied these ideas?

I have gained a great respect for the craft of animation as I never fully appreciated the care and time and patience that has to be invested into it to make it successful. I spent a lot of time working on my gifs as I largely enjoy the animation process, and I wanted to step away from ways of working that Im used to for this module. Similarly, I have gained a better knowledge of programs like photoshop and illustrator and how they can enhance work, and also where they have limitations. I have enjoyed working digitally in this module and it is a method I will be carrying on using into the future.




2. What approaches to/ methods of image making have you developed and how have they informed your concept development process?

The main methods I have utilised during this module have been digital, primarily advancing my skills with Photoshop and developing my use of Illustrator. I have had to be more conscious of final outcome requirements and restrictions, concerning aspects like measurements and vectors. I think I’ve worked quite well inside these parameters to make work that fits the briefs but also keeps true to the ideas I want to express through my work.






3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I am quite happy with my reflection throughout this brief on my blog as I feel it, coupled with crits and feedback has allowed me to become more confident in both my idea generation and visualisation in general. I’m also  happy with the ideas based pieces Ive made, namely my vectors as they are all quite conceptual and don’t rely on character design, as a lot of my work has done in the past.




4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

Because I’ve been digitally focused for the entirety of this module I haven’t really utilised many analogue methods in my development, and that is something I definitely feel I could improve in the future. I think I need to manage time better and give myself time to experiment with a lot of different methods before moving forward with my ideas.





5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

I will use a greater range of methods next time to further my idea generation and come up with stronger concepts before moving forward with any ideas.
I will manage time better in the future as I have been ill for a few weeks and it has interrupted the flow of some of my ideas, so in the future I will make sure to be a lot more consistent in my sketchbook as well as on my blog.
I will seek out more advice throughout modules in the future to get other peoples opinions as I go along and better my ideas as I go, as I feel that hearing outside viewpoints on what I am doing to be really helpful generally.
I will keep trying to look at ideas from a more simplistic style of working rather than relying on lots of detail or linework to try and make an image look good. I think that if I focus more on process fuelled by ideas alongside ideas fuelled by project I will be able to make a wider variety of work.
I will try to blog more consistently throughout the briefs as I feel that I still aren’t documenting all my thoughts on my blog as I don’t fully evaluate each page of my work, as I feel I will have to start doing in the future.
















1
2
3
4
5
Attendance


x


Punctuality


x


Motivation



x

Commitment



x

Quantity of work produced



x

Quality of work produced



x

Contribution to the group


x


The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self-evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.




No comments:

Post a Comment