Sunday 13 November 2016

TFNation Convention

I went to my first proper convention in the summer, and it was a great experience in meeting like minded people and just being in a space dedicated to a whole groups interests and passion. I didn't really understand the relevance of it in terms of my practice before, but since going to ThoughtBubble and my experience there, I thought that this convention really did prepare me for that energy beforehand.
Image result for tfnation 2016

TFNation is a Transformers based convention, and while I was there I met Nick Roche and James Roberts, who are two of my favourite comic writers and worked on one of my favourite books ever, Last Stand of the Wreckers:
Image result for last stand of the wreckers
It was great to get a chance to talk to them briefly about how they come up with ideas for characters and narrative, as its a creative process I'm trying to get my head around.
I also went to a panel with Alex Milne, the artist who illustrates More Than Meets the Eye, a series I really enjoy. That was a great experience as he made an improvised comic on the spot going off nothing but audience suggestion, which made for a really funny and dynamic set of sketches at the end.
Because I've always been the only person I know who's into this kind of thing, it was really great to suddenly be in a massive hotel with hundreds of other people who felt the same, and there was this shared experience between everyone there.
I also bought a metric ton of retro toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment