Monday 12 March 2018

Times Up thoughts

My research around feminism and the sexual harassment scandal happening in the entertainment industry right now has fuelled a lot of my work currently for 603. I wanted to make work that actually could have an impact, maybe raising money for certain causes against sexual harassment. Thinking about this, I chose to look into the Times Up movement, which was started in response to the slew of allegations that arose against several people across the entertainment industry, after Harvey Weinstein opened the floodgates.

I often feel like my work lacks permanence. As in, I make it, the brief finishes, and my work remains there as nothing really but a reminder of past ideas. I really want to change this about my practice and make things that have more of a lasting impact, and can be translated into different mediums and reach audiences it might not just directly coming from me. This is also why I’m interested in making work for Times Up, my work could take on a greater meaning and actually reach people outside the sphere it currently exists in.

No comments:

Post a Comment