Monday 16 November 2015

End of Visual Skills Module Self Evaluation


Leeds College of Art
BA (Hons) ILLUSTRATION
Level
04
OUIL403 Visual Skills
Credits
20
End of Module Self Evaluation

NAME
Isaac Smith


1.  Whichpractical skills and methodologies have you developed within this module and how effectively do you think you are employing them within your own practice?

The main skill I think I have developed in this module would be my understanding and use of wet media, as it was something I previously had not really considered to include in my work. I’ve developed my use of gouache and ink in my work and I think that it works well for my work as its a relatively quick and vibrant form of creating colour, and thereby has allowed me to include colour in my work, which before this module I did only sparingly. I hope to develop these skills further in the future to better incorporate colour into my responses.


2. Which principles/ theories of image making have you found most valuable during this moduleand how effectively do you think you are employing these within your own practice?

This module has taught me the importance of having an interesting idea that provokes a response before even beginning to draw anything in response, because an illustration isn’t an illustration if it doesn’t have a message to send, a lesson to teach or a story to tell. Before this module I feel some of my work to be devoid of this element as I might have been more focused on design and aesthetics, but now I see the value of having a good idea before embarking on any response at all.


3. What strengths can you identify within your submission and how have you capitalised on these?

I think that my strengths in this module lie with my idea generation as I have tried to be quite exhaustive when coming up with ideas for responses, as the message behind the illustration is what I find the most interesting part about the work. I’m also proud of my blog as I feel that I have successfully documented my learning experience throughout this module and the changes in how I work and how I view other people’s work now.


4. What areas for further development can you identify within your submission and how will you address these in the future?

I hope to develop my uses of different media, as I have begun using wet media in my work to explore different methods of image making, but I haven’t used any digital methods really very much, so Photoshop and Illustrator are two formats I will be familiarising myself with in future briefs. I also think I should further my sketchbook use as I sometimes begin working out of it straightaway, when I should use it more to reflect on and refine my work.


5. In what way has this module introduced you to the Ba (Hons) Illustration programme?

This module has taught me the meaning of illustration in a practical sense; as in responding to set briefs and concepts to create work with an appropriate message behind it. It has also allowed me to grasp the idea of blogging to constantly self evaluate and develop, and I think that I have used my blog quite effectively to tell myself what has and hasn’t been working throughout this module.


6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance

x



Punctuality

x



Motivation



x

Commitment



x

Quantity of work produced


x


Quality of work produced



x

Contribution to the group



x

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self-evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.


·         A printed copy of this evaluation should be submitted with your work.
·         A copy of your end of module self evaluation should be posted to your studio practice blog. This should be the last post before the submission of work for this module and will provide the starting point for the assessment process.
·         You should also post a copy of your evaluation to your PPP blog as evidence of your own on going evaluation.

Notes for the Module Leader



















Signature

Date: 15/11/2015



No comments:

Post a Comment